Sunday, July 27, 2008

Miscellaneous...

Went sight seeing today with Tom:

Here are some pics:

Basilique du Sacre Coeur and me looking like a doofus...



Amazing rose window in Sainte Chapelle...



Amazing stained glass windows in Sainte Chapelle...



The base of Sainte Chapelle with the painted stone columns and me moving at Mach 5...


A very cool day walking around and seeing amazing things. The Basilique has incredible mosaics on the inside and is the highest point of Paris. It never ceases to amaze me how different parts of Paris have their own character.

On the way up the hill to the cathedral we walked through this amazing area where artists are painting. I saw some amazing water colours and other paintings. Really incredible artists there.

I went to McDonald's today. I ordered a McFlurry. I don't know if all McDonald's are this way now or if it's just a Paris thing, but the outside of the paper cup it came in said "McFlur it yourself!" All the M&M toppings were on top. I had to stir them in myself. See earlier blog on vending machines...

McDonalds here has a sort of 50's/modern vibe and had pictures of the Blues Brothers and other American icons on the wall. This may be the first time you hear the Blues Brothers referred to as American icons.

I watched my good friend Brent playing bass in Stop and Stare on the McDonald's music video television. I can't get away from that guy anywhere...

It's been getting a lot hotter here. The Metro stations have been underscoring the fact that deodorant is optional...

I tried to buy a train ticket from Paris to London. I did not want to pay 235 euro, so instead I am flying EasyJet over. I think it will be fun, but I somehow have to make by bags about 40 lbs each. Gonna be interesting.

I somehow managed to burn my right tonsil with Leibig Pur Soup.

Tom and I found a British bookstore chain here in Paris. Lots of really cool stuff there, including English versions of Tintin and the Soviets and Tintin in the Congo. Really cool french comic books that I was totally into as a kid. I still think they are great. I ended up finding a cheap copy of Silas Marner and was able to read that this weekend. A really good story about a guy burned out by people and who is changes by loving a child he adopts.

Favorite quote: "In old days there were angels who came and took men by the hand and led them away from the city of destruction. We see no white-winged angels now. But yet men are led away from threatening destruction; a hand is put into theirs, which leads them forth gently towards a calm and bright land, so that they look no more backward; and the hand may be a little child's."

-BC

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do not look like a doofus. What is a doofus?

Josh Auer said...

your moms a doofus...

Just kiddin Mrs C!

Brando... Stupid "Mach 5" killed me.. we should do a whole series of shots where you're mach 5ing it in front of major historical landmarks...

Package it up and you'd make a killing.
... or at least 6.95 to from the Auer family.