Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Things (or Chain Reaction)

My first full day in Paris has been eventful. I landed at 9:30 and began the search for the ticketing booth for the RER (no idea what that stands for. Future blog material), what got me from the airport to the Cite Universitaire.

Things I've noticed:

First Thing: Lack of trash cans. For whatever reason, Americans have many more trashcans in more accessible locations. Trash cans consist of a highly minimal rim and stand on either side with the bag hanging down (trever hoehne: you would love this design). Not really a can as much as a trash bag stand.

Second Thing: The smell. I remember this smell from when I was little. It's the way France smells to me. It's more pronounced now. Maybe because I'm older. Anyway. It's a mixture of really springtime fresh and really b.o. Like sweet and spicy. That's all about that.

Third thing: Not as many bathrooms. Period.

Fourth thing: Not as many electrical outlets. Because they want to save electricity, they make you choose which two of the three things you have you will plug in.

Fifth thing: No/Little refrigeration. Got a Minute Maid OJ from a cafe and it was the same temperature as outside. Why bother with the fridge? Got a cold water bottle from a convenience store. 50 euro cents (what are they called? future blog material) more because it was cold.

Sixth thing: Size of things. I'm basically Paul Bunyan over here. I'm no giant, but I feel like one. Small cans of corn and small grocery bags do much for furthering this illusion. Small rooms. Small bathrooms. Small Kitchens. Our shower may have been Daniel Laruso's halloween costume. Except smaller. I opened the doors on a closet to find voila! a two burner stove, sink, fridge, cabinet, and dish drying rack inside. I kept looking for Polly Pocket, but she wasn't there.

Seventh thing: AMAZING announcement music at CDG. Think Ma Na Ma Na meets Breakfast at Tiffany's with a little bit of 60s cool. And it was only like 2-3 seconds. I kept wanting them to announce things so I could hear it again.

Eighth thing. Gorgeous dorm buildings. The building I'm in is gorgeous and surrounded by equally gorgeous buildings. The main international hall must have been a castle at one point. And even if it wasn't, it should be turned into a castle. Awesome architecture.

Ninth thing: Cool sirens. Everytime a siren goes off I think of Jason Bourne.

Tenth thing: Sun went down 20 minutes ago. And its now 10:51.

Eleventh thing: Totally different take on the whole "personal space" thing. At the airport I kept waiting for the crowd to dissipate so that I could pass through with my bags. I realized that that is like waiting for a glacier to melt. So I hopped in and ran over a few peoples toes and thought "I can get used to this!"

Twelfth thing: An 22-year old Italian named Pepe who is completing his masters in nano-technology. A girl from Trinidad who attended the World of Warcraft convention at Versailles. A girl named Erin who will be living in Paris for a month. My roommate Thomas (Tom) who has just built his son a treehouse. A half-dutch American who taught me that ail is French for Garlic.

In other news (all sad), I've experienced what the scientists feared would happen when they ignited the atom bomb. I reached for my Blueberry Glutino breakfast bar (at 7:30 pm PST) to find that the outer wrapper was slightly wet. Upon further investigation I discovered that my Wal-Mart glasses cleaner had decided to leak through everything contained with it in my plastic bag and began making the trek outside of the bag as well. Pulling out my camera to make sure that it would not get ruined, I managed to leave it on the plane. Down glasses cleaner and camera. However, I only realized this when I went to look for my phone that afternoon and realized that it too had somehow disappeared (though I personally think that it was stolen). So to those that I promised pictures, I'm truly sorry. It's not gonna happen. And you can't call to complain too because that would assume I found my phone. The moral of this story: Don't shop at Wal-Mart.

I realize that this blog is long and may come across as somewhat negative. I apologize. I am having fun and I really like it here. It's just really different. The people in my program are awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the city and experiencing the culture. Really grateful to be here. Just sorry that I can't show you more or talk to you about it.

Tomorrow is the counterpoint placement exam and Keyboard Harmony tests. Gonna call lost and found on my camera. And if any of you want to have some fun, try calling my phone. I'm pretty sure that by now the number is disconnected, but in case it's not, just have whoever took it mail it to you. I'll thank you later.

It's now 11 and I'm gonna give sleeping through the night a shot.

5 comments:

travis and hayley said...

good post! 1. smells bring back memories more than anything else. so maybe that is why the french don't wear deodarant...hence the b.o. 2. i wish i could see a picture of the poly pocket kitchen. i tried to imagine it but a picture would do better. 3. why and how did you loose your camera...i swear you are over the top responsible and yet i am not surprised by the "stolen" camera and phone...bummer. anyway, this does not mean you can't take pictures. go and buy a disposable camera. you will thank me later. 4. gunner misses you 5. i hate wal-mart. i have always preferred target over wal-mart and now you have sealed the deal for me. 6. i love meeting interesting people. i wish i could hear their stories. 7. we miss you! hope you are having fun.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this Christmas will be the 3rd Annual Camera Gift event. Maybe.

Amanda Auer said...

Brandon!!! Oh no!!! You'll have fun without technology all the same- maybe it'll be more of the independent experience that God wants you to have. :)

We all miss you already!

Josh Auer said...

BRANDO! I think this whole "lost camera" thing is just an excuse to get out of blogging in Paris. As of now we have both held up our end of the bargain, but we shall see. we shall see. Go check my blog. i put up a lovely picture that you and Mrs. Trinidad will enjoy.

Anonymous said...

learned a lot