Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Paris. Day deux.

So last night I fell asleep watching the clouds roll in. The lack of AC made me super stoked for cooler weather and the rain that they said we'd get today. The summer weather here is nice so far and I slept well, but I'm still jet-lagged (though not too badly) and I felt like my sleep didn't take. I felt good, just not rested. I'm sure that will change this week.

My roommate Tom and I met the group and we all walked towards the Ecole Normale de Musique. It's about a 45 minute metro ride over because it's pretty much on the opposite side of town. We had placement exams today for the counterpoint as well as the Keyboard harmony placements. I was able to finish the exam, which was good because some of it was kind of tricky. I also think I chose the right modes for stuff, but it would have been nice to have reviewed my notes from two years ago. It's been a while.

Side note/Important part. The school is gorgeous. Like all other things of a constructed nature, the school is amazing. Here are a few pictures (random face in picture is my room mate, Tom, a.k.a. The Man. Hopefully a bit more about him in a later blog):






As you can see, it's kind of like learning in the castle from Beauty and the Beast. Or The Haunting.

I signed up for a practice room, and after a quick tour of the surrounding area, began to practice for Keyboard Harmony. I got longer than I bargained for and was able to work through most of it. I ran through the sheet before I left, but didn't have too much time towards the end w/ all the concerts and cd release stuff that had been happening. My harmony exam was with Dr. Boyle, a very cool man. He made the exam simple. Starting with a basic Ab chord, then adding a dominant, throwing a subdominant in between and then adding the I chord at the end. A basic I-IV-V-I progression. He asked me to do the relative minor, and after doing the parallel, I did the right progression. That's where it got a little nuts because he began having me sing parts and omitting them from the chords. Which was wicked because he had me do it in fixed do. Which I don't know. I caught on pretty quick and he ended up actually teaching me in the exam (which he told himself he wouldn't do), but I'm stoked. I think that the Keyboard Harmony class is gonna kick my tail and make me listen a lot more. He already pointed out some things I can work on.

So when I got here I tried my blowdrier only to find that even though it SHOULD work, it does not. As a result, I've been rocking the typical composer haircut around here. This also led to adventures today.

Tom and I finished the exam about the same time and began making our way to the Arc de Triomphe. On the way we searched for an organic grocery store where I ccould find some gluten free goodness. After much much walking around we found out several things.

1) There is a chain of department stores here in Paris called Monoprix. They do not sell blowdriers. They do however sell sponges and dish towels. Both of which will help Tom and I cook.

2) There are tons of Pharmacies around. Though they remind me of Bath and Bodyworks. One woman pointed me in the direction of a gluten free grocery.

3) I bought some gluten free Mueslix which I'm stoked for breakfast.

4) I met a nice girl that had been to the states (so she knew english) and also had Celiac. She told me about the AFDIAG (Asomething Francais Des Intolends Au Gluten) located at 15 rue d' Hauteville 75010 Paris, France. afdiag@yahoo.fr. ph. 01 56 08 08 22. By the time I got there, the place was closed. So I'm gonna try to go on Friday-ish.

5) Near the Celiac Headquarters is an Optical Doctor that sells cleaner. Wal-Mart is gone. Vive Generale D'Optique!

Anyway, Tom and I made it to the Arc de Triomphe. It's rad. Saw the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier there. Also rad.






That's about it. Oh, cool new people. Girl from Sweden named Julie. Going to fashion school here. Loves New York. Guy from India named Shariz. Also going to fashion school. They have a presentation of a dress tomorrow at their class. I'm looking forward to seeing it tonight. They told me where I can maybe track down a blow-drier (which might help dry out my shoes from today's solid rain). And about the location of a piano which I will try to track down tonight.

Oh yeah. Earlier our power cut out for no apparent reason. We tried to have the front desk help but they said not until tomorrow. So we carried our fridge to the hall so we wouldn't lose our food. After a while it came back on. So now the fridge is back. And the fire alarm went off. But nothing burned down, so we're good.

Tomorrow (or very soon thereafter) the Polly Pocket kitchen and other assorted things...

5 comments:

Josh Auer said...

lets be honest, you always rock the "composer hair!"

travis and hayley said...

sounds fun. hooray for the celiac head quarters!

Anonymous said...

i already told you this but i will say it again:

1. i like pictures, but i think we'd all like pictures with YOU in them [blogs do that, you know].

2. i feel dumb when i read your blog. all of your musical genius is overwhelming- but i'm glad you're learning and having fun and bringing home good info to throw at josh in layman's terms when you get back.

3. blow dryer and flat iron- you're over it. grow a beard and come home smelly like the french. we'll still hug you. or at least think about it.

Anonymous said...

The Polly Pocket Kitchen reminds me of the kitchens in China. There are advantages. It doesn't take forever to clean and you can't own that much STUFF. The proper term might be minimalist kitchen, but Polly Pocket sounds better.
BTW we need pics of composer hair.

Roxanna Grimes said...

Brandon, you are so right! It is like Polly Pocket over there. I never thought of it that way. I am laughing out loud.