Friday, July 24, 2009

the BEST. Meal. EVER.


So I guess the last time I posted was Sunday. Wow. Time really flies here. I probably already posted a blog about this last year, but time here is a funny thing. Feels like I've been here for forever and for not very long. Weird to think that I've spent 1/12 of the past two years in a foreign country. And missed the past 2 4th of July(' <- ?)s in the states.

I honestly can't remember what I've done. I know that was the subject of last post, but all the days are sort of the same and sort of different. So it gets a little difficult to separate them out.

So highpoints. I turned in my String Quartet on Monday for the opportunity to have it read tomorrow. It didn't get selected because I told them that I had students that were going to perform it which gave some of the other composers a chance to have their pieces read. The faculty has been really cool about it and may still read it if they have time tomorrow. I hope they do but I'm excited to hear the other composer's pieces. It will be a long day of readings, but I think I'll learn a lot. I heard the student performers run the quartet yesterday. They did a great job and I'm really excited to hear it all come together at the final concert. I think I actually like it better than the midi version. Which is good becaue I was worried I might have demo-itis. I got pretty used to the samples. I might want to try a String Orchestra version after this.

Tuesday was class and I was up super late formatting a score for my lesson the next day. That's all I remember.

Wednesday was good. Another good comp lesson. I've really been enjoying the meetings with Dr. Lasser. However, I kind of got a kick in the gut at this lesson. I showed him my thesis. Which I edited. Which took a long time. We talked about process. He believes that composition and orchestration are different processes. And that when composing, you need to focus on your material. Anytime you try to combine the processes you lose out.

It's peculiar because I've actually been trying to figure out a process of composition that works for me and haven't been able to do it. He suggested that I get this gigantic staff paper and write it out in short score form so that I can see my compositional motives. It's totally worth a shot. What I've been doing hasn't been working the best. The only problem is that he is suggesting I go back through my piece and hand write everything. I think it may take forever :) But I'm hoping the end will go faster. From his rewriting the opening few bars, I already learned about some things that existed that I didn't know about. And got more ideas of different things that I could try. So we'll see. So I'll be doing this, as Michael "Squints" Palledorous said, "Until. Forever. For. Ev. Er."

Thursday, yesterday, I went over to Sacré-Coeur with some friends last night. Gorgeous night for it. Rain came in at the end so we got a bit wet. It was totally worth it to see the sky the way it was. I love that Cathedral. From the terrace outside the cathedral, I could see all of Paris.



It's a weird juxtaposition up there though. Very cool area, but the neighborhood around it can be a little seedy. Just say that Larry Flynt would like what has come up not too far away. Inside the cathedral are these enormous mosaics of extraordinary detail and stunning beauty The biggest mosaic in the ceiling show's Christ's return and tons of people worship Him. His heart is on fire and those that are looking at him also have blazing hearts. And not too far away from all that are people that come to seek pleasure. And others who are objectified.



On the way up the cathedral are tons of vendors peddling little electronic dogs and gold and silver Eiffel Towers. And these dudes from Africa that try to tie these bracelets on your hand and then charge you for it. And they won't quit. So persistent. The only time I've ever heard "Hakuna Matata" used in conversational speech. It was weird not to hear it in the context of the Lion King.

And it I had a weird experience in the church. I was looking at all the surroundings and the hushed and reverent environment. And I passed someone that was fervently praying. And I thought about how something so beautiful could draw so much pain to itself or contain that which seeks absolution or assistance. It was a weird contrast and made me draw a ton of connections.

See next blog for details on this title.

-Brandon

No comments: