Thursday, July 02, 2009

Year 2: Day 1

Well, I'm back. Both blogging and in Paris. Last year this blog started up as a way for me to keep people back at home in the loop on life in Paris during the EAMA program. Then I tried to keep it going but felt like life just wasn't all that interesting so it, like every other past attempt at journaling, fell by the wayside. Hopefully the trend won't continue. But it might.

Last year's program ended up well. I never really summed it up all that great, but the basic gist is that I felt like I learned a lot, made a good friend in my roommate Tom, and wrote a piece that I really liked.

So I figured I'd give it another shot this year. That, and I was hoping to get some help on my masters thesis AND just be away from the normalcy of life to try to and do that.

So now this year.

"IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Seems a fitting opening to this year for several reasons:

I flew first class across the Atlantic - I left from Orange County and landed in Atlanta where our flight was delayed. While in the airport I saw this dude wearing these sandals.



(For those who can't see, his sandals say "Guinness", as in the liquor. Is that o.k.? I don't think so.)


The Atlanta flight was overfull. So I offered to take a later flight and make $200. Another guy was in front of me in line, but the agent somehow got me through. Best of times. He told me I would walk off the plane to the baggage office where my bags would be waiting for me. Best of times. Then when I got to the other gate I found out that I had been bumped to 1st class. Best of times. However, my gluten free meal doesn't transfer with me, but stays with the plane to which I'm assigned. Worst of times. I snacked on some random things and ate around some stuff hoping that I was making good eating choices and wouldn't end up with being glutened. Worst of times. Awesome Roast Beef. Best of times. I sat there thinking, "Would I trade First Class for Coach with a Gluten free meal?" Still not sure, but I was given First Class and it was awesome. Random thought prayer at the end of awesomeness for learning to be patient. Tried to take it back, but it was already gone. Age of foolishness.


(No Josh and Travis, I didn't have any wine.)

Get to the airport. Walk off the plane. Go to pick up my bags. NOT there. Age of Foolishness. Go to travel lady. Ask about my bags. Says that they haven't even arrived because they weren't in the system. They would arrive the next day and would ship them to me. Don't have exactly the right address where I'm staying. Age of foolishness. Have deodorant in my carry on. Age of Wisdom. Forgot to carry on a change of underwear. Age of idiocy.

Go to leave and remember that the French way of doing things is VERY different from the American way of doing things. Hunt around baggage area. Find two random french dudes guarding a pile of luggage. Rummage through and find my bags. Age of Wisdom. Apparently les dudes had not scanned the bags nor put them where they were supposed to be. Age of foolishness.

Anyway, you get the picture. Have wifi where I'm staying. Unfortunately my MAC is stumping l'IT dude here at the Colegio because I can't get on. Only when I'm plugged in with an Ethernet cable. Which has to be in the computer lab. Which is three flights down on the opposite side of the dorm. But my power plug is unable to connect. So I have a limited amount of time. Lots of inconvenient conveniences.

Also my kitchen situation is good. Since I've got to cook my own food. Every floor has two kitchens. One even has 2 fridges. But the fates have given me a fridge compartment on the floor below. Which isn't super convenient. However, it is large enough to cook and store food. Not too much, but definitely enough.

Season of Light - it's a gift that I'm here.

Season of Darkness - trying to finish Masters Thesis.

I was really nervous about this trip for some reason. Don't know why. But I feel like this is the year where my faith and resolve get tested. And they are being tested in Paris (which is a huge blessing, so how much can I really complain, or compare it to Dickens...). And everything has been working out, though not necessarily without a fight.

So we'll see about this trip. I'm praying for some miraculous things to happen. But my faith is weak. I'll keep you posted.

Pictures (my plug adapter doesn't work with my camera battery charger - got to figure out a way to charge it to keep the pics coming. Worst of times. Someone loaned me a camera and I haven't lost it or my phone. Best of times):

The back patio restaurant as seen from my room.



Views from my room. Fourth floor (= U.S. Fifth floor = inferno)



My fridge locker (minus a point of reference)





Thanks to Rox for offering to take me to the airport (especially because she thought it was LAX. Thanks to Randy for the Camera.)

5 comments:

TomandBecky said...

Brandon, I'll be praying that you are stretched, but not too far. :) I wish I could have come this year (then again, I like being with my fam!). I wish you all the best; work hard, see sights, enjoy the experience. I'll live vicariously through you this month.
~tom

Josh Auer said...

"...and thanks to josh in advance for buying me Guiness sandals for comfort and style and presenting them to me upon my return home."

(you forgot that line at the end)

stringsofpurls said...

Love the refrigoratorette. Those polly pocket yogurts will fit in there nicely.

treverhoehne said...

we are all gonna have guiness sandals when you get home!

Roxanna Grimes said...

I love your scurrying stories about your Polly Pocket Adventures and your quick return to visit the lady. On the edge of my seat to see how this Tale unfolds.