Friday, July 24, 2009

My Friend

So earlier I told you that I would post more about my friend Ashley who is a tremendous poet. She wrote the text for the choir piece that I submitted here. I think it's an amazing poem. I received it from a manuscript that she is currently trying to get published. However, herwork has been published in several journals. More information is at the bottom of this blog.

Other people here have thought so too and have expressed interest in using her work for their pieces. I'm excited for her. I think her material needs as much exposure as possible.

For your reading enjoyment, here is her poem...


TONIGHT I'LL SHAVE YOUR FACE

Not because I do it well or quickly
but because it slows us both
to notice how the skin is delicate
and so determined. You'll look forward at the wall
and feel where the razor touches down
where I sweep it steadily across that jaw line
clenched in sweet suspense. You'll trust me
to do this because in the morning
I'll boil your breakfast eggs. You'll trust me
to do this because I've heard you talk in your sleep—
something about your father's camera
dropped in the muddy creek. Lately
your stubble comes from self-defeat
and I know where that comes from too
and so you'll trust me
with this razor, with the blade
that cuts the rough dark hair
from its beginning and leaves instead
a smooth shadow.



The official bio:

Ashley Seitz Kramer was born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. She completed her B.A. at Miami University, and her M.A. at Ohio University in Athens, where she taught writing courses for five years. In 2008, she completed her M.F.A. from the Vermont
College of Fine Arts. Her work has been published in Dogwood, Sow's Ear, Wicked Alice, Gihon River Review, Brevity and most recently in Cutbank. She lives in Cleveland, Ohio and teaches writing at Case Western Reserve University. She collects teapots and and is drawn to all things epistolary. She's currently a finalist for the 2009 Ruth Lilly Fellowship.

Cheers!

-Brandon

No comments: